Visiting Lalibela

Visiting Lalibela

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The cake

I haven't made a birthday cake in two years--that's right two years. Instead, my kids spend weeks planning just the right cake for each birthday in our house. I've posted some of the creations before, but Gavin's cake two weeks ago TAKES THE CAKE!! lol

First, I need to provide a little background.

Mike loves Star Wars, and always has. This love has been passed on to every one of our kids. Now that the Clone Wars is easily downloadable, we could have Star Wars playing in our home nightly. It's an amazing thing, everything (in our kids' eyes) in our lives could relate to Star Wars in some way. I bet George Lucas never knew his clone factory would be used in a dinnertime conversation to explain the Industrial Revolution and the start of factories in our country.

I appreciate Mike's ability to relate to the kids in a relevant way (I don't seem to have this gift, especially when it comes to Star Wars).

When it came time to plan for Gavin's cake, Janika made several preliminary sketches. I really didn't know what to expect with the finished product, but she certainly didn't disappoint. She spent over 6 hours designing, baking and beginning the decorating process. I think the Cake Boss would have been proud. Her trusty helpers (EVERY OTHER SWEENEY, except for Gavin, who wasn't allowed near the kitchen) took over when she collapsed on the couch--talk about pouring yourself into a project! Mike and I came home from St. Louis to this masterpiece:










As I've said many times before, our Gavin loves well. He brings such joy to our lives. This Mama was thrilled to see all of the other kids putting so much work into his birthday cake. I am blessed.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Janica you are SO talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is a precious boy! we adore your family & miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete