Visiting Lalibela

Visiting Lalibela

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The unexpected

Before we went to Ethiopia, we expected trials: we expected language barriers, tough behaviors, sibling issues, food issues, difficulties with bonding, and grief on Gavin's part.

What I didn't expect was a HAPPY boy, who greets most things with a smile and a laugh.
I didn't expect him to LOVE us so very deeply and immediately.
I didn't expect he and Layne to be the best friends EVER.
I didn't expect him to crawl into my lap several times per day to wrap my arms around him.
I didn't expect Kael to enjoy him so much.
I didn't expect to hear him say, "I no laugh in Benchi. Here I laugh all the time."
I didn't expect him to learn to love our God so deeply so quickly.
I didn't expect him to run to help us anytime we need it.
I didn't expect his grief to be so short lived.
I didn't expect him to be SO athletic.
I didn't expect him to learn his letters and numbers so quickly.
I didn't expect the HUGE hugs he gives Mike every time he comes home or to me when I return from an errand.
I didn't expect him to share so well, when he's never had anything before.
I didn't expect to think he is SO cute!!

No comments:

Post a Comment